I suggest you ...

Have parallel texts for Foreign Language books

it is often useful to read the text in its original language, but also to have an English copy on hand in case the text has not been fully understood.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminDaniel (Founder, Tailored Texts) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Anonymous,

I totally agree. Having a translation at hand is always a good way to help understanding. I would even go further and suggest that having several translations by your side is a sure way to guarantee the best comprehension possible of the original text. One translation alone is less likely to convey all the nuances of the original.

In fact, this is one of the driving ideas behind Tailored Texts: to allow readers of foreign-language literature to avoid reliance on one translation alone and to focus on the original language. This might mean comparing translations or, if only one is available, subjecting it to intelligent criticism (no translation is perfect!). At the same time, I hope that users who would normally reach for a full translation because, a) they are not confident enough or b) do not have the time to read the original on its own, will find the necessary support from fellow readers on Tailored Texts.

This is why, if you click on "Support" when reading a text, you will see that there is a section called "Translations and Resources." There, one may add any translations available online. If you look at Candide or Un Coeur Simple (2 texts I worked on over the summer), you will see examples of several on-line translations available for reference. In my notes, I often compare, contrast and criticize these translations.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Feedback and Knowledge Base